Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Gettin' ready to ride to Crested Butte!
Angela and I went on a little training ride yesterday that was just heavenly! It was in the Bracket Creek area, and we did three or four miles of climbing up a fire road, and then about eight miles of downhill single track! I learned some KEY things for staying on my bike, and only had to walk it three or four times! I learned:
1. How to ride around a switchback (turn your head AND SHOULDERS to look where you want to go rather than off the side of the drop off that you don't want to fall down, keep your inside foot high)
2. Skorts are HOT (as in super sexy and technical); Angela was sporting a new Sugoi skort, and it was awesome.
3. The proper method for picking and eating huckleberries (and how to spot the bushes at high speed from your bike)
4. Keep focus a bike length ahead of you, look at where you want your wheel to go, not where you don't want it to go.
5. Practice on easy pitches by picking two small rocks to ride between.
6. Keep the power on when you are going uphill, pedal through it.
7. There is such a thing as Chamois creme, and I need it! OW!
All in all, it was a tremendous, beautiful day, and I got to Bodhi's school covered in mud with ten minutes to spare.